A sweet side dish - the perfect way to start the New Year!
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch coins
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ orange, juice and peel, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- ½ lemon, juice and peel, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup honey (if you rub your measuring cup with vegetable oil, the honey will slide right out of it)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit (prunes, pears, apricots and apples), chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Place carrots in a large pot with bay leaves and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until carrots are al dente.
Remove carrots with a slotted spoon and set aside, retaining cooking water in the pot. Add orange and lemon juices and pieces to pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add honey, sugar and cinnamon, and stir until dissolved. Return carrots to pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add dried fruit and raisins along with ½ cup water. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so that everything cooks evenly.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with a teaspoon of cold water and stir until fully dissolved.
Add cornstarch mixture to the tsimmes, stir in and simmer for 10 more minutes, or until everything is fully cooked and liquid is almost completely dissolved. Serve hot as a side dish with chicken or beef.
Yield: 1 quart, or 8 servings
Adapted from The Second Avenue Deli Cookbook