A perfect dish to break the fast.
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups sour cream
- 1 small clove garlic, pressed or crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or a few dashes Tabasco)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled, cooked, and sliced 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup fine dry (unseasoned) breadcrumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne (or Tabasco). Blend well. With 1 tablespoon of the butter, coat the inside of an 8-inch-square (or equivalent size) baking dish, then make a layer of about one third the potatoes.
Arrange 2 of the sliced eggs on top of the potatoes. With a spatula, spread on about one third of the sour cream mixture. Repeat the potato layer, the egg layer, and sour cream. Add a final layer of potatoes, then the final one third of sour cream.
Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs, dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with paprika.
Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. (Can be reheated.)